Well. I think we're finally done with Matisse and the fauves, and this may be my favorite project of everything we did with Matisse. The paper was I think 16 x 20" (or thereabouts), and I had the students leave a frame of about 1-1/2" on the paper. Students practiced drawing African animals by looking at lots of visuals, and the kids each picked one for their painting. They did the drawings on white paper with yellow chalkboard chalk. Some of the details of the original drawings unfortunately got lost in the re-drawing, but I like the childlike freshness of what turned out.
I had ordered a package of animal print tissue paper without a plan in mind, and it turned out to be perfect for the frames. I cut it in strips and the kids used starch to adhere it.
OOPS. I hung this bulletin board explaining the project after attending this afternoon's union meeting, and now that I'm looking at the photos I see a BIG error. The signs say the work was done by 2nd graders, but it was not. It is THIRD grade work and I'd better get into school early tomorrow morning to fix it before the kids see it. YIKES!