The plus side is, of course, the ring I'm wearing, which I just made from one of the marbled glass stones. It's also pictured at the top of the post. Here are the other marbled glass stones that I made.
In the defense of the project, I actually am quite smitten with how they look, and now that I know what to expect I think I will be trying it again, but I'll be better prepared. I'll be wearing disposable glove, and will have my kitchen completely covered with drop cloths! I made 25 of them, and finally got the hang of it only after I had completed the first dozen and made the mess. Picture this: you are holding a glass stone in a pair of pliers. You dip it into a layer of nail polish floating in a dish of water. As you pull it out, and attempt to wipe the excess nail polish from its edges, it suddenly springs from the pliers, wet, sticky, and colorful, and flies halfway across your kitchen, leaving a trail of nail polish drips on your counter, your floor, your clothes, and of course, your hands.
Some people on Facebook have asked me how I made them. To which I will respond thus: either check out this video link, or alternatively, go on Pinterest, and search 'nail polish marbling' and you'll find everything from flowerpots, to Easter eggs, to fingernails done using the same method I used. And mugs, pictured below. Really, seriously, mugs?! If I made a big mess marbling tiny glass globules, imagine how much mess I could make attempting to marble an entire mug!!! Ummm yeah.....I'm definitely not the right person to offer a tutorial for something I clearly made a huge mess attempting to do!
Have you perhaps tried to make a work of art with crayons glued on a canvas and heated with a hair dryer? (Here's a link to a photo of the 'fail'. I admit that I have not tried this myself.) Or have you drawn on a ceramic mug with a Sharpie to bake in the oven? Melted old CD's or vinyl records for some crafty project? (Don't you DARE melt any of my precious vinyl!!) Mixed Elmer's glue and shaving cream to make whipped cream on an art project (it didn't work for me)? Have you frozen water and food coloring in balloons to create colorful orbs to place in the snow? Dyed boring old buttons with Rit Dye? Made wind chimes with cookie cutters? Made a scarf with loops cut from the circumference of a T-shirt? (I did try this; they came out looking like shredded rags and went straight to the trash. I took no pictures) Perhaps you've attempted to create a personalized sewing mannequin with duct tape? Yes, I actually tried this one! You can read about my misadventures building Violetta, the duct tape dummy, in this post right here!
Here's something I want to try from one of my Pinterest boards - to make little pies made from a bottlecap, seed beads, and felt. I suppose they could become magnets, or a necklace or pin? Or a decoration for some unnecessary kitchen craft? What could possibly go wrong?
here's a link to a 'fail' photo) or in an avocado half.
FYI, I did an Internet image search for 'Pinterest fails', and found an endless supply. Follow this link to see them. They are a hoot! There's even a hilarious picture of the crayon/hairdryer project, which I am unable to post here. Or perhaps you might want to go here, to a whole blog devoted to Pinterest fails!
But I can't really blame all the failures on Pinterest. I've had flops long before Pinterest existed. There was the time that, at a conference workshop, a presenter shared a fabulous Monet lesson. Her students had created fences or Japanese bridges out of masking tape on fingerpaint paper, then watercolored the sky and water or grass for background, and used sponges and/or Q-tips to dab vibrant tempera colors for flowers. When dry, the tape was peeled, leaving a white fence or bridge in a garden of flowers. Or at least that's what happened when her students did it. Home from the conference, I introduced Monet and dove right in with my 3rd graders, not making a sample first, and was very excited about the project. In a subsequent art class, when the painting was complete and dry, we peeled the tape, and one after another, it tore holes in everyone's papers. One girl sobbed hysterically, non-stop for the rest of art class, but the others were more willing to stay calm. I grabbed scraps of construction paper and tissue paper, and we tore, cut and glued quickie flowers over all the holes. Lesson learned. The pictures were beautiful but I never repeated the lesson.
Every year in the fall, for many years, I sent my 4th graders home with paper to sit outside and draw their homes. We then used carbon paper to transfer the drawings to watercolor paper, and painted them. It was a great project. One year, I decided we should do them large - 18"x24". I ran out of carbon paper for one class, and the teacher down the hall offered up a big box of ditto masters. (For those of you too young to remember ditto, the copies are purple and wonderfully smelly.) Anyhow, the ditto masters worked just like carbon paper for tracing their drawings. Then, we started to paint. As the wet brushes hit the paper, the purple ink bloomed, and everyone's houses, turned purple, along with the grass, the sky, the sidewalk, and basically anything in the artwork. And as a bonus, their hands also turned purple. I'm sure this lesson would have been posted on Pinterest, with a beautiful picture, and no mention of the hazards of the lesson variation.
And here's one final 'nailed it' image that I found and just had to share with you. I think perhaps I'll skip attempting this one!