We started by tying a covering over his hair. A shower cap is a good alternative.
Then we greased up his face with Vaseline, putting an extra-thick coating on his eyebrows.
We cut some plaster into various size squares and rectangles, and I got a bowl of very warm water and some paper towels. (The plaster sets more quickly quickly if the water is warm.)
I started dipping the pieces of plaster into the water, dripping off excess water onto the paper towels, and then smoothing them on his face, leaving his eyes exposed. I made sure to fold the pieces that would be the outer edge of the mask, to make those edges neater and stronger.
I had suggested we cast a bunch of fingers to add to the mask like spikes, but he wasn't interested. Instead he said he wanted to make a cast of a fist. I explained that I'd have to cut it in 1/2 to get it off, and so we decided to make it in two pieces. First we cast the front, then the back, and then we used more strips to attach the two halves together. The assembled fist is visible in the photo at the top of the post.
He couldn't resist trying it on a few times while it continued to dry.
Tune in next week to hopefully see the finished products!