My favorite project from the workshop was the flower pictured at the top of the post, though her sample was much more complex and elegant than mine. We painted watercolor paper in bands of color, and when the paint was dry, we painted over it with a tempera varnish to seal. When that was dry, we tore flower petals and leaves to assemble into a flower, and glued them onto a piece of mat board. The painted and glossed watercolor paper was easily manipulated so that the leaves and petals could be bent and curled. Phyllis (the presenter) used Model Magic for the center of her flower, but I just used fringed scraps of my painted paper. Here's a closeup of the center.
Here's the table where we painted our paper.
The two incredible pieces directly below were the presenter's examples. I did my center differently because while I loved her flowers, her Model Magic centers made me think of golf balls!
And here's a couple of pieces made by some workshop attendees.
We also did a project which uses layer of acetate, drawn on with Sharpie Paint Markers, inside a box. The layers are separated by 3 D-O's. Participants came up with great ideas for their layered artwork, but I had left this project for last and with limited time, just did layers of colors and swirls and such.
The third project (yes, four hours, three lesson ideas to try out, and all materials provided for us by Sax/School Specialty!) was fun and easy. Small rectangles of black mat had been pre-cut in various dimensions, and we used the paint markers again to create a dimensional piece, by stacking small pieces of mat board under some of the pieces when it was glued together. OOPS this photo below is actually sideways!
Here's a couple of closeups showing the levels/layering.
This one below looks like a fun whimsical solution!
And I'm especially intrigued by this solution below:
And the dimensional approach to this one is very cool.
An interesting 4 seasons piece, made more interesting by the diagonal placement of some of the elements. I don't think it was done when I photographed it.
And finally, this person took the clear acetate from the second project, and incorporated it into the third project. Very cool.